If a port or port facility operates with ships involved in international shipping, its security system must comply with requirements of International Ship and Port Security Code and other international and Latvian legislation. The following actions must be carried out:
1. Gathering of port/port facility pre-assessment information
Maritime Administration of Latvia gathers the necessary information to be able to carry out the assessment at the port/port facility: obtains information on operations to be carried out, security measures implemented, as well as various plans, maps, schemes.
2. Filling of port/port facility pre-assessment checklist
Port/port facility fills the checklist and application and submits it to Maritime Administration of Latvia.
3. Port/port facility security assessment
Maritime Administration of Latvia carries out port/port facility security assessment and sends the security report to the port/port facility.
4. Drafting of port/port facility security plan
Port/port facility drafts the security plans and together with an application submits it to Maritime Administration of Latvia for review and approval.
5. Approval of port/port security security plan
Maritime Administration of Latvia reviews the security plan and approves it or returns the security plan to the port/port facility to improve or eliminate deficiencies.
6. Implementation of port/port facility security plan
Practical actions to implement security measures.
7. Initial security inspection of port/port facility
Port/port facility fills the application and sends it to Maritime Administration of Latvia.
8. Issue of port/port facility certificate of conformity
Maritime Administration of Latvia carries out inspection and issues certificate of conformity or determines a time-limit to eliminate the deficiencies and carry out recurrent inspection.
9. Annual security inspections, extraordinary security inspections, recurrent security inspections
Port/port facility fills the application and submits it to Maritime Administration of Latvia.