Skip to main content

Registration of Recreational Craft

The following recreational craft can be registered in Latvian Ship Register:

  • all recreational sail yachts with length above 2,5 meters
  • recreational motor yachts , with more than 12 m in length
  • recreational motor yachts with length between 2,5 -12 meters used for commercial purpose / carriage of passengers

Recreational craft (all sail yachts and motor yachts more than 12 m in length) may be registered in Latvian Ship Register. Motor yachts and boats up to 12m in length, personal watercraft (jet ski) shoud be registered in Small Recreational craft Register.

Required documents:

  1. Application for registration (prescribed form);
  2. Copy of Certificate of Incorporation/passport;
  3. Proof of Ownership* (for example Bill of Sale) and Protocol of Delivery. Both documents must been signed by the same persons. The signatures on the Bill of sale must be notarised. When signed abroad, Proof of ownership must be notarized and apostilled (outside EU);
  4. Certificate of Deletion issued by previous register if any; If not, confirmation letter (prescribed form) addressed to Latvian Ship Register signed by previous owner and notarized.
  5. Written consent of ship’s mortgagee, if any;
  6. Report of Survey issued by the Maritime Safety Department. If recreational craft is intended to be used for commercial purposes (such intent must be mentioned in the application for registration). Survey must be carried out before registration;
  7. Radio Station license issued by the Electronic Communications Office, if recreational craft is equipped with radio;
  8. Certificate of technical condition of the vessel and conformity of equipment to the legal acts regarding building of recreational crafts issued by Maritime Administration of Latvia or a classification society, if the vessel will be used for commercial needs;
  9. If the recreational craft carries more than 12 passengers for commercial needs - document of insurance or other financial assurance regarding responsibility of the transporter in case of death of a passenger of or body injuries in accordance with Regulation (EC) No 392/2009 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 April 2009 on the liability of carriers of passengers by sea in the event of accidents.

 *If the recreational craft is bought from builder (new-buildings) or at boat-shop document (cheque, invoice and payment documents) identifying seller and buyer can be used as the Proof of Ownership and Builder’s Certificate can be used as a Protocol of Delivery;

It is possible to register a recreational craft on the basis of a Bareboat charter agreement. In this case the bareboat charter agreement must be handed in instead of Proof of ownership. Permission from main (underlying) register is also necessary.